Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pre-Race Day

Just a few small finish up items on the Car, and the big packing/loading day. Since we are part of a 2 Team group, we had 2 cars and all the related gear, tools, etc to load up. A full day just doing that!

A few pics of our car as it sat this afternoon...

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Work Day 11

Today (Sunday) was another good work day. We started at 1pm and just finished up about 8pm.

We did some more road testing and found a small leak in the passenger side front brake line, so we decided to replace both front brake lines. We also finished up the installation of our "brake ducts", and got the fire extinguisher purchased and installed.

We also started organizing some of the stuff we need to pack up to take with us to the race this week.

A few pictures are below ... More are here.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Work Day 10

Brick was able to pickup the tires we ordered on Thursday, so we mounted the tires on Friday. These will definitely be a great improvement :)

I also picked up a new bearing and some other odds and ends we needed on Friday as well.

Saturday we started around 9am. We removed the bearings from the knuckle, but found we needed to press a part out of it in order to install the new bearing, etc. Took the entire knuckle off and ran it up to a local machine shop to have it done and the new bearing installed. One look at the hub, and a little measurement, and it was determined that it needed to be replaced as well. Seems it's a dealer only part (~$180) and we can't have it until Tuesday at the latest. After some phone calls, we found an import salvage yard that had the complete knuckle with bearings, hub, ball joint, etc for only $40! So Brick and I ran out and picked it up. 2 hours of the day shot. Once back, it bolted right up and worked way better then the old unit.

After installing the axles, we moved on to the brakes. Re-bled the brakes to make sure all was well... and installed the new rotors and pads. Moved on to refilling the trans fluid, re-installing the oil pan and oil fluid, etc, etc.

Nate & Paavo also worked on installing the hinge and latch for the sunroof, so that is finally taken care of as well!

After some hair raising issues on trying to start the car for the first time (and a few more hours), the car started up and ran well! We took it out for a test drive and the power, brakes and clutch are 1000% better then before! At this point, it was 10:30pm, so we decided to call it a night.

Work Day 9

Sorry... hectic past 1.5 weeks or so. This update is for last weekends work. Brick and I were working Autorama on the weekend, but the rest of the team was able to make some good progress. The new rear seal was installed... and the turned flywheel and new clutch kit was installed and transmission was put back in.

We finished hooking all the linkage, etc up after Tuesday nights meeting. However, while putting the axles back in, etc we noticed that there was quite a bit of play in the passenger side axle (bearing or seat, etc).

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Work Day 8

Finally got some time to work on the car again today. Thuy, Brick and I finally got the transmission dropped and out of the car. Removed the pressure plate and clutch... what a mess. They were definitely "done" and ready to be replaced. Also got the flywheel off so we can get it turned this coming week.

The rear seal is leaking, and since it's fairly easy to do with the transmission out, we dropped the oil pan and can now pull the rear seal. We will pickup a new oil pan gasket, rear seal and gaskets, etc so we can do that before we put the new clutch in.